Thursday, April 27, 2006

04/27/06 - I Loved Them Before They Got Big

Ever listening to a new band, grooving out, and your buddy has to say, "Oh, I know them. I've been listening to them for years. Now that everyone likes them, I hate them."

This is so incredibly lame and I've been hearing it for my entire life. When I was into jam-bands, there was always some new "hot" band. Every time we'd go to see them, my buddies would be like, these guys were so much better before they got big.

The same phenomenon occurs with authors and movies as well. People love books until they wind up on the NYT Best Sellers list, then they feel that they can't like it because everyone else does. These cynics love independent movies, but hate when they break through.

There is a reason that these people react this way. It is not because they feel the need to be different. Its not even because they hate mainstream culture. Its because their whole identity is built on being smarter and hipper than you and me. What happens when their not smarter and hipper? Well there just nerds. Which is ok. I am a nerd, but I am ok with it. These people fail to accept their true personas. If mainstream culture accepts what they like, how are they special any more? No longer are they the geeky guy at the record store with a smuggness about him. They become mere mortals like you (not me, I am immortal). They become ordinary, which they cannot stand.

For those of you who must hate on your former favorites: I hate you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maulleigh said...

Have you heard of this band called The Beatles? Yeah, I'm digging 'em!

9:50 AM  
Blogger nixforsix said...

I liked your site before you got big. You're a sellout.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

google28b5842b7975978f.html