Saturday, April 15, 2006

4/16/06 - People who claim to "hate" jazz

Every so often I run into people who have no idea what the word hate actually means. These people attempt to tell me tht they "hate jazz." Are you kidding me?

Situation: me at coffee house reasing book. girl walks over, asks about book. I think she might be intelligent so I enter conversation. My first mistake! We start talking about music. My second mistake!
Me: You ever listen to jazz?
Her: No. I hate it.
Me: Are you sure?
Her: Yeah, I tried once. I don't get it.

Her view is completely indicative of people who hate jazz. They don't really hate, they have just yet to find the type that they like. Jazz is the true American art form and spawns in many directions. If you haven't found a piece that speaks to you, please keep looking.

Here are 5 suggestions (all different types)
1. Sarah Vaugh - Gershwin Live
2. Miles Davis - Sketches from Spain or Kindof Blue
3. Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
4. Sun Ra - Easy Listening for Intergalactic Travel
5. Artie Shaw - Begin the Beguine

If after listening to those 5 albums you havent found something you like: I hate you.

1 Comments:

Blogger bowling with no panties said...

I hate free-form jazz. This is not contempt prior to investigation, I listened to it, and I hate it.

I like Big Band and Swing. I even like Dixieland. I like SOME John Coltrane. I like that one rare record of Coltrane and Monk's concert -- that was pretty good.

But if I had to choose between listening to the Mingus band or N'Sync, I'd rather take a bullet.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

google28b5842b7975978f.html