Sunday, April 30, 2006

4/30/06 Competitive Eating

There's a new craze sweeping across America and it is disgusting. Perhaps you have seen it on ESPN or ESPN2, as competitive eating is attempting to be called a sport. This is disturbing on many levels. First of all, where is the athletic talent in shoving food down your throat. Competitive eating might be the only sport ever where anyone off the street would be on par with the pros. The more disturbing part is that these people partake in these contests while people are starving around the world. How do you think people in Darfur would feel watching Ed "Cookie" Jarvis shoving his face full of grilled cheese, crabs, wings, hot dogs, salad, and what ever else he can get his hands on.

Professional competitive eating has corrupted a fine American tradition. I suppose I could understand having a pie eating contest once a year on July 4th. But, the idea of glorifying these people who treat their own bodies so poorly is beyond comprehension.

Is that what we want our children to aspire to? Imagine you child staring you in the eye and saying, "One day I will hold the record for the most grilled cheese sandwiches eaten in 12 minutes." Would you help himpursue this goal? Will you pay for eting lessons? Or will you slap the sandwich out of his hand, make him go on a diet, and immediately enroll him in a real sports league. I'm betting the latter.

And for all you competitive eaters: I hate you.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Entropy said...

Ok, first, these pro eaters do need to train; hence the term pro. I have seen many a special about them on various channels. Second, I would love to see you try and eat 50-something hotdogs in twelve minutes; the regular joe most likely would not be on par. Also, you cares if the darfurians are starving? I'm not darfurian, and to say that we should all care just because it is sad is to say that they are not capable of helping thmesleves, that we should feel guilty because we justly got what we worked for.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Daily Hater said...

I disagree. I simply pointed to Darfur as a small example. I just find it morally repulsive that with all the starving people in the world these competitors are over eating to such an extent. I'm not asking eveyone who reads this sympathize with anyone any where in the world.

What is this training you speak of? Eating? I guess I'm in training 3 times day. 50 hot dogs in 12 minutes? you might want to get your facts right, there has only been one guy who did that. The average is closer to 20. And, in al honesty I believe I could eat 20 hot dogs in 20 minutes. Not that I ever would.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

10:15 AM  
Blogger The Stevo in H-Town said...

Damnnn, hater...Instant recall of the stats inna f--kin' hot-dog contest sez more 'bout your interest in the "sport" than you wanna let people know..frankly.

11:45 AM  
Blogger The Stevo in H-Town said...

...and this entropy dude goin' ta bat fer these "pro" eater's iz offda charts...

12:15 PM  
Blogger Daily Hater said...

saw one of the same stories that mr. entropy was talking about. thats where the facts come from.

whatsmore, I do my homework before hating. There is no uninformed hate here. The more I read about competitive eating (check out www.ifoce.com if you need more info) the more I was disgusted.

12:34 PM  
Blogger The Stevo in H-Town said...

"I'll pass."

Sincerely,

Hot-Dog Eatin' Champ sittin' onda crapper.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Mr. Entropy said...

"your life must be sad. I'm sorry."
was this a legitamite expression of apology? or remorse? My, my my......
And remember, if you love everyone, you cheapen the idea...
'twas not love, for eyes that weep toward all weep not, but sweat.'I'm paraphrasing, but hopefully you getthe point. Your ethics that tell you to be ashamed that someone eating to gluttonous proportions is wrong, is based on the assumption that we should help all those who elicit within us some degree of sorrow, or pity. It is the basis of ethics on emotions that ruins the reason available to man.

3:16 PM  
Blogger The Stevo in H-Town said...

Man, that's bullshit...


Lovingly,
Ayn Rand

3:33 PM  
Blogger Daily Hater said...

perhaps it was neither.

perhaps it was sarcasm that flew over your head.

sorry.

And thanks for your interestnig philosophy. I accept that not everyone has feelings of sorrow for thos in worse positions. I would consider these people less enlightened. A human being's moral capacity is best realized when he or she can empathize with others. It is what separates humans from other animals.

But, we can agree to disagree.

3:41 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Mr. entropy, do you base your entire life on pompous, bullshit quotes, or do you just memorize them in case you get into arguements on the internet?

10:01 AM  
Blogger The Stevo in H-Town said...

AAAAhhh, Hell Bill, some people are just born assholes, live their life assholes, and die assholes...

Mr.entropy is pretty-much a clown...He likes you to think he was fuckin' Ayn Rand..One of the most unoriginal bloggers I've ever seen..

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

google28b5842b7975978f.html