Monday, May 01, 2006

05/02/06 - Luddites

Luddites might not be a term everyone is familiar with, and no this is not a form of religious hate.

Lud┬Ědite n.
One who opposes technical or technological change.
[After Ned Ludd, an English laborer who was supposed to have destroyed weaving machinery around 1779.]

I have come across tow primary forms of luddites who have inspired hate in me.

The first is the more reprehensible of the two. My great-uncle visits a small doctor's office. This office does not have a single computer in the office and it is questionable if they have a fax machine. How can a modern healthcare provider operate like this? The most annoying aspect for the patient is that he or she cannot get electronic referrals. I'm sure there are many other applications for computers in doctor's offices. What they are I'm not sure. Please let me know in the comments if you do. Regardless, I'm pretty sure all offices should have atleast one computer these days.

The second is a slightly more personal gripe. I hate that one friend who refuses to get a cell phone. He doesn't refuse to get a phone because he can't afford it or because he is afraid of it. Rather he just chooses not to be in touch with the world. He's not worried about people being able to find him. I guess its nice in an antiquated kindof way, but please join the 21st century.

All of you luddites out there: I hate you.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ziggebella said...

Fuck mayo.

I don't think I'm a luddite? That's a really odd word...

6:23 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

I take it you were not a big fan of the uni-bomber.

6:39 AM  
Blogger bowling with no panties said...

I don't have a cell phone either for the same reason. Nobody needs me THAT BADLY. My significant other has one and if I'm going on a longer road trip or something I'll borrow it in case i get stuck. I'd probably get one if I didn't have his to borrow.

On the other hand my sister doesn't even have a land line which I HATE because when I'm talking to her at her house she has serious static and has to call me back every three minutes.

I feel like a Luddite because I don't have TiVo. I choose not to get one because then I'd watch even MORE TV than I do now and what a waste of time. If I miss a show I like, I miss it. Luckily there are very few shows worth liking so I'm not missing much.

6:46 AM  
Blogger bill said...

Stores without credit card machines. As much as I love the enormous plastic sliding thing, they've got a damn phone line.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Daily Hater said...

excellent example bill. theres nothing I hate more than carbon copies. Theres actually a local court system in Philadelphia that still insists on submitting legal documents on carbon copy. Can you believe that?

7:31 AM  
Blogger Ziggebella said...

You're probably right about Hostel 2. As an open-minded critic I have to say despite the overwhelming amount of sex the movie was actually pretty well done for the budget they were on. Even though they kept goin' on about how people were fainting in the theater from watching it and it was the worst shit blah blah gruesome blah blah and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. It wasn't as gory as they said it would be.
But yeah, Hostel 2 will probably go onto dvd right away.

7:39 AM  
Blogger The Stevo in H-Town said...

I Got along without cell-phones before they had'em...I jus' get along BETTER with 'im..anything that savesya time izza good thing...Cell-phones are az worthwhile az any technology ever invented, better than most....
Are they necessary?...Az long az ONE mothr-f--ker in the world haz one, they are..BeatsdaHell outta walkin' 4 miles cuz yer car broke down outsida Mobile..

10:42 AM  
Blogger Maulleigh said...

I'm a douchebag who doesn't have a cell phone for the same reason your friend doesn't; I don't like to talk on the phone. Even with my home phone, I don't pick up 90% of the time and let it go to the machine. I hate that I have to be "on" whenever someone else wants me too: honestly, it illicits a slight rise in anxiety in me that I don't like. Dorothy Parker said it best when she answered the phone, "What fresh hell is this?" Now, with caller ID, I know who it is first and I can dodge dodge dodge. Also it always seems to be pesky relatives who want to invite me to clam bakes and it's SO much easier to not pick up the phone than the offer white lies.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

google28b5842b7975978f.html