Monday, May 15, 2006

5/16/05 - Children at Restaurants

I think that every chain restaurant has a kids eat cheap night, but I always fail to take it into account. Recently I was in the mood for some red meat (honestly, when am I not in the mood for red meat?) so I journeyed to my local Lone Star Steakhouse. Little did I know it was kids eat cheap night. Every table was filled with screaming children. My dining experience was far from pleasurable. It got me thinking though. When I was a kid, my parents never took me out to eat. They slapped a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich in front of me and I was happy. The few times we did go out, I was forced to be on my best behavior. You can be sure the Hater's parents did not allow any screaming, yelling, or food tossing.

Yet, every time I go to a restaurant this is what I see. Even the few occasions at nice restaurants subject me to the same torture. One time at a Chinese restaurant the parents had brought a portable DVD player for their children? Honestly, I wanted to hand them $20 and tell them to spring for the babysitter next time. I'm not saying that evey meal and every restauarant has to be perfect, I know I get what I pay for. But please, shut your kids up.

Is this your child out to eat?

If so, I hate you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Marcie said...

We take our kids to the car if they start to act up. You really only have to do it once or twice and it keeps them in line. Kids crying ruins my meal too, especially if it's my own. Just one point though, sometimes getting a babysitter is harder than just having the 20 bucks to pay them.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Maulleigh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Maulleigh said...

I deleted my last comment cuz I was glib! Luckily, I come in contact with few children as I live in major metropolitan areas where it's too expensive to have kids much less take them out to eat. My sister and i didn't get taken out much because it's expensive and pointless to take kids anywhere other than mcdonalds (which we preferred anyway). however, if I do end up at a McDonalds or a Round Table Pizza and the place is swarming with kids it doesn't bother me because that's where kids DO belong: in places like that.
I know I'm a bitter spinster: someday when I have my own kids, I'll think COMPLETELY differently. ;)

6:40 AM  
Blogger El Padrino said...

When I was a kid going out to eat meant Pizza. Once in awhile is was Beefsteak Charlie's. But I was given a speech before entering and I knew that if I acted up, it would be a brutal night. No portable DVD players, no games, no hand held devices. Just sit down and don't act stupid.

When I see kids acting up in restaurants I promise myself that won't happen to me some day. We'll see.

7:54 AM  
Blogger MC said...

My place of kid hatred isn't restaurants because sitting in a pizza place at 2AM after a night of drinking is less likely to produce child sightings as it is to actually produce children.

My kid hatred is at retail outlets. Supermarkets, department stores, video stores... *shudder*

9:28 AM  
Blogger Stiggy said...

I hate dealing with children at restaurants. What I hate even more, though, is when kids scream and cry at stores and their parents just ignore it. Stop shopping, take your kids to the car, and sit there until the crying has subsided. No one wants to hear it, especially me.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Sassy said...

I think it is so much worse nowadays as far as that is concerned, as opposed to when we were growing up. I don't blame the kids; I blame the parents.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

google28b5842b7975978f.html