Thursday, May 04, 2006

5/4/06 - The Fall of Boxing


Quick, name the top 5 boxers in the world. The top 3? The best?

Boxing has fallen into a state of disrepair with numerous unknowns and far toomany belts up for grabs. How they maintain the huge paydays are beyond me. I know few people who order the pay-per-views anymore.

The funny part is that I was once a huge fight fan. I loved the term the "sweet science" and I certainly loved Mike Tyson's Punch Out as kid. I understood boxing to be something more than a primal display of manhood. There was strategy and determination. And, sometimes the underdog won.

But, the world of boxing has dissapated and I hate that. Like many other sports it became too commercial for its own good. I doubt it will ever become mainstream again. Did you know there was a time in American history when boxing was among the most popular sports in America. I highly suggest the documentary Unforgetable Blackness. It's the tale of Jack Johnson, perhaps the greatest boxing story ever told as he over came racism in this country. Another documentary worth checking out is When We Were Kings, the true story of the Rumble in the Jungle. Both of these documentaries illustrate a time when boxing was great. Oh, how it was fallen.

Those of you who ruined boxing with huge paydays and corporate sellouts: I hate you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Crassius Maximus said...

No question, the fall has been apparent for at least 10 years now. No heavyweights worth a crap, and too many $49.95 PPV mismatches. Boxing used to be in my "Big 3" along with football and basketball, but it's so farcical now, I don't watch nearly as much. ESPN fights used to be a big deal, now they mean nothing. I did ,however, order the Mayorga -DeLa Hoya fight tho'.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Crassius Maximus said...

JC Chavez' son JC jr. is an interesting kid on the rise , but I couldn't tell you any other young cat on the horizon.

6:22 AM  
Blogger El Padrino said...

I read When We Were Kings. It was excellent.

Boxing right now is a complete disaster. I haven't looked forward to a fight in a long time. What brought me back to the sport a bit was the NBC show The Contender. How could I resist one quality fight a week? I hope they have a season two.

6:27 AM  
Blogger bill said...

It's a wonder Celebrity Boxing did nothing to gain interest in the pugilistic science.

6:34 AM  
Blogger bowling with no panties said...

I miss that guy, Butterbean.

8:24 AM  
Blogger The Stevo in H-Town said...

Maybe they need a new Commisioner to straighten that sport out..


B Selig

5:31 AM  
Blogger Crassius Maximus said...

All the good prospective heavyweights are now becoming pitchers, quarterbacks and small forwards.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

google28b5842b7975978f.html