Saturday, May 06, 2006

5/7/06 - Informal E-mailers

One of the problems with the modern ease of e-mail is that many people treat it too casually. Often at work I have received e-mails that were not even spell checked. Heres a tip for anyone reading this who has to e-mail a boss, client, or professor: don't send anything that you wouldn't be comfortable sending in a physical letter.

As some who read this may know, I am currently in law school. Its finals time (I know, making it all the more amazing that I post every day). Here is an e-mail a girl in my class just sent (names have been changed to protect the guilty):
____________________________________
P-Foz,
Just wondering if the 14 page maximus limitus refers to JUST the essay or the whole sha-BANG ..
(sorry about the informality .. I'm still Recovering from my Property exam .. apparently, I only know 1/10th of the law .. )

toodles!
stupid spelling of her name that I can't even think of a way to change it
______________________________________

For those of you wondering, this is not an appropriate way to 1. communicate with a professor and 2. post on a graduate school listserv.

Heres an article from the NY Times discussing how fed up professors are with getting crappy e-mails. I can't blame them. This problem is systematic of a generation that grew up without manners. And I am one of them. We all need to realize that we should tailor our messages to our audiences. You can believe I write differently here than I do in a legal memo.

I send informal emails to my friends all the time. They send informal e-mails to me. Thats fine. But you know what, I expect a little more at school and at work.

Those of you who cannot craft a findly worded email: I hate you

5 Comments:

Blogger Stiggy said...

I had to share this bit of information with you. When I was working at a company a few years ago a person in a superior postion to mine sent the following message via emailto everyone on our team, including our manager:
The Grand Prairie Pharmacy no have any Jevity.
Nice, huh?

8:26 PM  
Blogger Daily Hater said...

this is exactly what I'm talking about. people like this should be ashamed of themselves. I'm not even sure I understand what your manager was trying to say.

As a side not about pharmacies, does anyone know of a good reputable Canadian pharmacy to oder from? there are so many, and I can't tell which is the best to use.

8:51 PM  
Blogger bowling with no panties said...

U are 2 funnee!! I love when ppl write to me in teenage text-message venacular, especially when I know that they attended Divinity School at Yale.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Maulleigh said...

Sometimes I'm good with the grammar and then other times i'm kjnot so good. *blush*

4:22 PM  
Blogger Big Red said...

You posted this on my blog when I complained that my professor wouldn't respond to email. I'd like to say that my emails are always tailored to the specific audience and especially formal when dealing with professors. Can't hate on me, Hater.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

google28b5842b7975978f.html