Monday, June 05, 2006

6/5/06 - Homophobes

I know its Monday and that its supposed to be celebrity hate day, but today I will write a rare political hate message. I intended to stay entirely away from political postings on this site. 1. there are too many people doing it, 2. who am I to preach? and 3. I would hate to misarticulate my position.

However, today's announcement of a constitutional ban on gay marriage has pulled me out of my pledge. I think this is an absurd proposal and backed by nothing but bigotry. I have never heard a good argument against gay marriage. Supposedly marriage is supposed to be about procreation. Well, can impotent people marry? Can people who commit domestic abuse marry? Are former convicted pedophiles prohibited from marriage? Can drug addicts marry? I would certainly rather have my child raised by a homosexual than an abuser or pedophile.

The way I see it, marriage is a government institution that allows individuals to place one relationship above all others. I don't care if religious groups will sanction it or not. I agree that the government should stay out of churches, synagouges, mosques and other religious buildings. Yet, if two people want to be married by a justice of the peace, who is the government ot determine what is a meaningful relationship?

Furthermore what is this sanctity of marriage stuff? Hasn't the modern divorce rate already obliterated any such concept.

And oh, some states have decided to offer "civil unions." They are marriage but with a different name. That sounds like "separate but equal," a principal we as a country rejected long ago.

I myself am not gay, but what if I was? I would want to be able to marry my love. The LGBT community deserves the same rights and privileges that we all do.

Sorry for the rant. Back with objective hate tomorrow.

10 Comments:

Blogger bill said...

Once again, the government sticks it head in an issue it has no business being in just to get the support of the voters come reelection time. If a gay couple wants a marriage license, they should be able to get one so they have an equal chance of getting the marriage tax credit. If they want it bound by God in a Babtist Church, but the church says no, well thtat's the Church's right as well. As long as they have the same rights as anyone as granted by the Government, it shouldn't even be a big deal.

So, I have a problem with people pressuring the government to ban it, because they shouldn't be able to ban it. I also have a problem with people pushing the church to allow it, because they shouldn't have to do it if they don't want to.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Sassy said...

Very well said, and I agree with everything you wrote.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Maulleigh said...

I've lived in Major metropolitan areas for the past 15 years of my life. This past weekend, i had a couple young friends from out of town come visit. I can't tell you how many times they used the words 'gay' and 'fag' to put something down. It just made me sad. :(

6:17 AM  
Blogger El Padrino said...

I think Churches, Synagouges, Mosques, etc. should be the only institutions debating and/or dealing with this issue. Goverment should not have a say. Whether you think it's right or wrong should be left up to the instituition that marries them. Not a politician. They should stick to screwing everything else up.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Funny this is your post for the day since I finally watched Brokeback Mountain last night and this issue has been on my mind all morning. It's just fucking sad. I believe that someday we will look back on this discrimination they way we do the treatment of black people pre-civil rights era. I don't believe that Bush really gives a rats ass about gay marriage, he's just doing it to get the backwards religious people out to vote.
I hate Bush.

9:03 AM  
Blogger bill said...

Um Marcie, no offense but I really do not think we will be looking back on this like the pre-civil rights area. The issue is the right to get married and basically get the same tax breaks. It will turn out to be a minor blip on the radar screen of history.

Blacks couldn't vote, own land, use the same facilities, or even go to the same schools. Their churches and homes were burned and they were lynched regularly. Maybe there's some stuff going on I don't know, but I do know there is no way to compare the current status of homosexuals to the status of blacks in the pre-civil rights era.

9:29 AM  
Blogger The Rev said...

I agree 100% with your posting.

The mere fact that anyone thinks that if two men or two women marry each other it somehow ruins the whole foundation of marriage is absurd.

Your marriage will not suddenly dissolve if two guys marry. Marriage is as strong as the two people who enter it individually.

And the fact that this administration is putting so much effort into gay marriage when our country has much bigger problems is embarassing to me.

I continue to be ashamed of the Bush Administration.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Sof said...

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you, the bill. As a gay reader of this blog, and one who has been in a long term relationship with his partner for a long time, I can tell you this is about far more than a "tax credit". The tax argument is a bunch of crap anyway, since most married couples with two incomes pay more in taxes than they would filing alone. We certainly would.

The fact is, that to us this is about every protection that comes with marriage, and there are over 1100 of those recognized by the federal government. We moved here from a state that wouldn't let us visit each other in the hospital. Just yesterday, even here in New Jersey, a teller at our bank questioned one of us cashing a check made out to both of us, being deposited in a bank account we are both on.

This may not be the same as the black civil rights movement. But it's still perfectly legal to deny me housing and fire me from a job for my orientation in most states. It's legal to prevent me from visiting my partner in the hospital. I can assure you we're asking for the same civil rights and responsibilities that heterosexuals take for granted. that's all. And your first post about the government vs. the state was right on.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

the bill- I see your point. But I think "minor blip on the radar screen" is a little too flipant. People have lost jobs because they are gay, people are turned away from their families and churches because they are gay and people have been murdered because they were gay.
Maybe not the exact same thing, but pretty bad nonetheless.

5:11 AM  
Blogger The Stevo in H-Town said...

The whole issue may jus' be "marriage" itself..I tried it twice:

Total years MARRIED, both wimmin? 11...

Total years "living" with current wummin'.....18

Not fixin' sumpthin' that ain't broke by GITTIN' married?....priceless..



Note:I'll be linkin' ya up, hate..

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

google28b5842b7975978f.html