Thursday, June 08, 2006

6/9/06- Running Into People


I hate running into people that I haven't talked to in a long time. The vast majority of the time there is a reason that I haven't talked to the person in a long time, because you are not cool enough to talk with me any longer.

Today while walking from the train to work, I ran into my senior prom date from high school. I haven't talked to her in several years. I pretended not to recognize her. What was I going to say? "Oh, you have a job, amazing, I thought you'd be a crach-whore." While that was going through my mind I didnt actually say it, perhaps I'm going soft in my old age. She asked for my cell phone number, I hope this doesn't mean we have to talk again.

She ended our conversation with "great to see you." I gave a mere wave of the hand. These types of conversation are 1. fake 2. boring and 3. predictable. If you get caught in this conversation here are the questions you are likely to receive:
1. so what are you up to?
2. where are you living?
3. how is (fill in random mutual friend or family member)?
4. are you dating anyone?
5. did you ever get crabs after we stopped seeing each other (I made that one up)

you get the idea. no one wants to be in this conversation. you say you'll call, but you never will.

old acquaintances who insist on making conversation: I hate you.

P.S. The Conversation is a great movie, consider it highly recommended.

9 Comments:

Blogger MC said...

Well, the question about crabs goes somewhere at least(usually Thailand or Haiti in my experience).

9:19 PM  
Blogger Fairmaiden327 said...

OMG ha ha ha. I so relate. I'm a fast walker though, I would have been a blur.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Maulleigh said...

ugh; I know what you mean. I just moved so after saying good bye to every middling neutral person in my old life, now I have to say hello to every middling, neutral person I used to know. I can't tell you how many people I dodged on the street yesterday. My 30-second elevator speech is now about five seconds.

7:15 AM  
Blogger LeeB said...

There comes a time that you just have to be an asshole to these people...at least that's my theory.

8:29 AM  
Blogger anonymous said...

my theory is be an ass from the start and then theyll know not to approach you later.

it works.

9:46 AM  
Blogger The Rev said...

So I take it this woman is not very hot looking, and wasn't worth talking to because she wouldn't be worth banging right now?

Come on, am I the only person who wondered this?

10:40 AM  
Blogger Sassy said...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Daily Hater said...

no steve. attractive then, attractive now, but there is another woman in my life at this point.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Anomie-Atlanta said...

The "I-haven't-seen-you-in-years" hug is a million times worse than the stilted conversation. If you have not seen or talked to me in more than two weeks...don't touch me.

-Anomie
http://falseconciousness.blogspot.com/

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

google28b5842b7975978f.html